This has always been and probably always will be my favourite breakfast !
- 5-6 slices of white bread, best if it’s 2-3 days old
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- a pinch of salt
- enough sunflower oil to deep-fry in it
1. Break eggs into a wide, shallow bowl or pie plate. Beat lightly with and stir in salt and heavy cream.
2. Over medium-low heat, heat the oil in a skillet until it’s really hot. The oil has to be enough for the bread slices to kind of float on top of it.
3. Meanwhile, place the bread slices, into the bowl or plate, letting slices soak up egg mixture for 1-2 minutes, turning once. Soak only as many slices as you will be cooking at one time.
4. Fry them in the hot oil for about 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove from the pan and lay them on a kitchen paper.
I like to eat them with fruit jam and feta cheese !