Very light and refreshing. Great for the hot summer days
- 1-2 zucchini (about 400 g | 14 oz )
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 130 g | 4 1/2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint or basil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp all – purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3-4 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
- if you like you can add 2 spring onions
- 250 g | 9 oz strained plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
1. Top and tail the courgettes and cut them in half lenghtways. Cut out the centre and seeds, if there are any, (this part is too watery for frying) and grate them. Also squeeze the remainig juices from the grated zucchini.
2. Tip the courgettes into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the garlic, cheese, herbs, flour, lemon zest salt, pepper and eggs (and onions if using). Mix well. If the batter is too runny, add some more flour !!!
3. Heat the oil in a large, wide frying pan over medium heat. The oil should not covet the fritters completely, just about half. So it depends on your pan how much oil you will add. Drop 4 tablespoonfuls of the batter into the pan, with space in between and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove, drain on kitchen paper and keep warm until you cook the rest of the mixture.
4. To make the dip: Mix the yogurt and the dill and season to taste.
5. Serve the fritters hot with the dip.
Recipe adapted from Everyday vegetarian