The word “Burek” comes from Turkey and it means filled pastry. It can be filled with cheese, often feta, minced meat or vegetables. But here is the Bulgarian version for Peppers Burek - roasted sweet peppers, peeled and then filled with feta, eggs and parsley. Then dipped in flour, egg, breadcrumbs and egg again, and fried in sunflower oil. The last time I made these, some of my peppers were completely broken after I peeled them, so I decided to make them fritters. I chopped the peppers and mixed them together with the rest of the ingredients for the filling. Then I took a spoonfuls of the mixture and dipped them into the flour, egg and breadcrumbs. They were quite runny at first and didn’t really hold their shape, but after dipping them in the flour were easier to handle. So if you have some torn peppers that can not be rolled with the filling – you can always make fritters I love them either way…Delicious.
- 5 sweet red peppers
- 200 g | 7 oz Feta cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- a pinch of black pepper
- sunflower oil
For the dip:
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 220 C | 420 F
2. Wash the peppers, cut the tops off and remove the seeds. Place them in the preheated oven and roast them, turning occasionally, until the skin is dark brown, almost black. Be careful not to burn them.
3. Remove the peppers from the oven and place them into a plastic bag. Leave them in it for 10-15 minutes. That way would be easier to peel them. Now peel them, but be careful not to break their shape.
4. Now, with a knife carefully spread them open.
Make the filling:
5. Crumble the feta and mix it with the beaten eggs, parsley and black pepper.
6. Take a tablespoonfuls from the filling and spread it in one of the ends of the peppers. Then roll the peppers, so they look whole again.
7. In three different plates put the beaten eggs, flour and breadcrumbs.
8. On a medium heat in a large frying pan, heat enough sunflower oil to cover half of the peppers.
9. When the oil is hot, take each pepper and dip it in: flour, eggs, breadcrumbs and eggs again. Then fry until golden brown.
And below you can see the fritters