This is a must try recipe. I have made it lots of times, for family and also for guests and every time it’s a success ! Takes no time to make it and it’s very delicious. What more can I ask for !?
- 1kg | 2lb 4oz boned lamb shoulder, cut into large chunks
- 150 ml | 5fl oz sunflower oil
- 2 small or 1 big onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut in big pieces
- 1celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ x 50g | 2oz tin anchovy fillets
- handful thyme sprigs
- 1 red chilli, sliced (if you prefer, discard the seeds)
- 250ml | 9fl oz white wine
- 25ml | 1fl oz lemon juice
- 250g | 9oz fresh or frozenpeas
- 400g | 14oz potatoes, cut into quarters
- 200g | 7oz cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
First take the peas out of the deep freeze so it can defrost a little.
1. Season the lamb chunks with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large pan and fry the onions, carrot and celery for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
3. Add the garlic, anchovies, thyme and chilli, and continue to cook, stirring, until the anchovies have almost dissolved into the oil.
4. Add the lamb chunks and fry for a further 4-5 minutes, or until browned all over.
5. Add the wine and continue to cook until the the liquid has reduced by half. Then add the lemon juice. Turn the heat down to low and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
6. Add the peas, potatoes and tomatoes. Cover the pan and continue to cook for about an hour until everything is well cooked and the sauce is thick. If your pan doesn’t have a lid, cover with piece of aluminium foil. Taste and season if needed.
7. Serve hot with bread to mop up the sauce.
Recipe source ”Two Greedy Italians”